Coppo

A winery with a UNESCO World Heritage Site

In the early 1900s, Piero Coppo founded the Coppo winery in Canelli, already at the time the capital of Moscato and Barbera wines. The Coppo winery strengthened and expanded with Piero's son, Luigi, who introduced major innovations and modernisation to make it increasingly competitive in the difficult post-war years. It was Luigi's four sons who made a decisive change to the winery's production, introducing the international Chardonnay and Cabernet varieties to the family vineyards, cultivated with Moscato, Barbera and Freisa vines. In 1984 the winery was taken over by the fourth generation, consisting of Massimiliano and Edoardo, but the philosophy has always been the same: taking great care of the wines produced down to the last detail, with love and hard work, as this is the only way to obtain exceptional wines.

The 52 hectares of vineyards belonging to the Coppo family are located in the Canelli area, rooted in marly-calcareous soil, with a perfect south south-west exposure. The cellar, which stretches underground for kilometres, is divided into two parts: an aseptic and hyper-technological part, dominated by state-of-the-art machinery and instruments, and another silent and subdued part, with brick ceilings, where the wines suitable for ageing rest in wooden barrels in semi-darkness. It is a labyrinth of tunnels, which today have become a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Ancient traditions and modern technologies, if used wisely, can only produce surprising results, such as the wines of the Coppo winery.

Other Informations

Region
Foundation year
1892
Hectares of vineyards
52
Annual production
420.000 bt
Enologist
Giovanni Coppo, Guglielmo Grasso e Riccardo Cotarella
Address
Coppo Srl, Via Alba, 68 - 14053 Canelli (AT)
The wines of Coppo